Jefferson County offers an excellent public school system for grades K to 12, with nine elementary/intermediate schools, four middle schools, and two high schools. Private schools, such as Country Day School (K-8), are also available for your family’s educational needs.
Jefferson County and the Eastern Panhandle also offer several institutions of higher learning:
- Shepherd University is a state supported four year institution with of approximately 5,000 students. The University offers associate and bachelor degrees in over 75 fields, and has implemented a masters program.
- Blue Ridge Community and Technical College offers over 50 associate degree programs, certificate programs and certification in a number of areas such as technology, business, nursing, medical assisting, fire safety, culinary arts, paralegal and more.
- James Rumsey Technical Institute is a vocational and technical school that offers courses for Eastern Panhandle high school students and post-secondary students.
- Mountain State University is a private educational institution that tailors their programs to working adults. MSU's Martinsburg campus provides a wide range of degree programs, in addition to independent study and accelerated options for general education.
- American Public University System, a leader in distance education, is headquartered in Charles Town. APUS offers more than 70 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including homeland security, intelligence, education, and emergency management.